We first met Matt Nathanson earlier
this year and had so much fun that we had to talk to him again
when he played his hometown gig in Boston. This was not the usual
Nathanson show though as he is now touring with a full band, not
just his trusty sidekick Matt Fish. With his live shows burning
up the Internet, and a critically acclaimed set at this year's
South By Southwest Fest (SXSW) in Texas, there is definitly a
buzz around Nathanson with his major-label debut already on the
shelves. I had the chance to sit down with Matt before his co-headlining
show with Sister Hazel. Listen*
as Matt talks about the SXSW festival, his sudden status as a
sex symbol, and where he was when he heard the awful news of the
untimely demise of Creed.
1. You spent the day with a contest winner at the Boston Virgin
Mega-store...howd that go? Did you help steer the winner away
from the bad stuff?
2. So let's get right to the chase here, where were you when
you heard the news that Creed was no more?
3. So why a full band now? Are the sellout shouts coming in
4. There was a post on your site from someone who was heckling
you at your show in NJ recently...did this really happen?
5. There has been some confusion as to whether you will be playing
the boston show with O.A.R. & Howie Day...so are you or aren't
6. Through the magic of the Internet, I was able to track down
a copy of your last CD, Still Waiting For Spring. Tell
me about "Loud" and who the woman singing on it is?
7. So how was your time off recently, are you sad to see Matt
Fish gone the way of marriage?
8. Is it different when you are touring with family as you are
right now, being in your original homeotwn?
9. So how was SXSW? I heard you rocked the festival.
10. Were you able to check out any other sets at SXSW?
11. VH-1 is putting together a show where they match current
artists with their influences, John Mayer & Paul Simon are
the first show. Who would you play with, although I am pretty
sure of the answer already.
12. Is it tough to put together a setlist, especially now with
the full band?
13. A lot of your songs tend to deal with spurned love, is it
weird being an international sex symbol now?
14. Rollergirl, a frequent poster on your site, wants to know
when you are going to learn the rest of the classic "Sweet
15. What other summer plans you got...you going to check out
the mega Van Halen tour this summer?
I want to thank Matt for taking the time to talk with me, and
hopefully he enjoyed the new Van Halen track I was able to play
for him that night. As you can hear, he was pretty damn excited
about it. Keep your eye up for when Matt comes to your town, as
the cat is always touring.
Drop us a line to let me know what you think of what Matt said
or just to tell us how much we suck! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org